Monday 29 April 2013

Glorious Gorey

Jersey is known as the British Riviera. Being part of the British Isles, though over 100 miles away, we are sometimes subject to their weather systems. However, we more often than not are blessed with much more favourable weather than on the mainland. This particular weekend was Ward Conference and the stake visitors were delayed due to severe fog that miraculously cleared for the afternoon leaving Jersey bathed in glorious sunshine.

With meetings cancelled Mike and I decided to go and get an ice-cream from Gorey (pronounced Goree-the best there is on the Island). There is a small area of the beach that is always uncovered, except in very high tides, and, when basking in the warm rays of the sun, I remarked to Mike that I felt like I was on holiday to which he replied that every day is a holiday in Jersey!

Gorey Castle, better known as Mount Orgueil, is one of the Islands historic defences. Mike and I visited there when I first came to visit him in Jersey. We have just bought Heritage cards and plan to go again soon. We can't wait!

Below the castle sits the quaint fishing town of Gorey. I never tire of visiting this place! Sometimes, for a treat, we will buy fish and chips then go and park on the pier and watch the tide.






3 comments:

  1. The sky is such an amazing colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous scenery! No wonder it feels like a holiday. These pictures are to beautiful for "stamp size" though...my vote is that given your photography skill you should set them at x-large size before you publish the post so I can sit back and feel like I'm on holiday too!!! Love ya Bex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...now I can sit back & pretend to be there! That sky really is a gorgeous blue!!!

    ReplyDelete